Manage Your Time, Manage Your Life
If you wake up in the morning and instantly feel as if there is not enough time in the day to accomplish all you need to, then you may have a time management problem. As a business owner time is a precious commodity and there never seems to be enough of it. You are being pulled in many different directions all day long, everything needs your attention and everything is fighting for your time. It never seems to end! You vow to get it under control. You set up systems to help you track your time better, you create checklists to ensure you are not forgetting anything but at the end of the day you can only focus on what didn’t get done rather than celebrating what you were able to accomplish.
How can you end this struggle? It’s exhausting and you deserve better. Your productivity suffers, Your mental well-being suffers, your business suffers and your life suffers. It doesn’t have to be this way. There are a few actions you can take now to help you transform the way you think about time, actions that will increase your productivity and realign your focus.
- MAKE TIME FOR YOU– I know, this may sound simple or even selfish, it’s supposed to be. Make sure you are getting enough sleep, enough food and enough physical activity. Self-care is the first thing we let fall to wayside when we get busy and that’s unfortunate. A clear and rested mind and body are essential to productivity and effectiveness.
- DO A QUICK ASSESSMENT OF HOW YOU ARE SPENDING YOUR TIME– Do you recognize any potential time wasters? Are there tasks you can be doing more efficiently but just haven’t spent the time to set up systems to make it happen? Does it make sense to move appointments, meetings or tasks to different parts of the day when you feel more energetic?
- TIME BLOCKING– Carve out dedicated working time in a dedicated working space. Limit distractions and focus on one task at a time. Don’t take phone calls or check emails, stay laser focused.
- BREAK IT DOWN– If you are working on a big project, break it down into smaller, easier to digest pieces and start knocking them out one by one. Don’t let yourself get overwhelmed by the big picture, you are in control and you can microsize even the most complex project. You will be amazed how quickly you can build momentum when you are able to check those tasks off one at a time.
- GIVE YOURSELF GRACE– So you didn’t get to everything you needed to do today, it’s okay. Tomorrow is another opportunity to get a little further ahead. Not everything is a priority and the sooner you recognize that the better. Did you put the fires out today? Good. Will there be more fires tomorrow? Probably. But you can handle it.
When you manage your time more effectively you are ultimately managing your business and life more effectively. Don’t shortchange yourself.